Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker

Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Why Skylights are a Bad Idea

On June 13, 2012, a freak hail storm hit Dallas, especially East Dallas. Unfortunately, our neighborhood was one of the hardest hit areas. We were not at home, we were on our way home from dinner when it started to rain. Shortly after, the hail began and we quickly realized we needed to pull over. We pulled under a tree and listened to the hail hit the car. Neither Brandon nor I have ever seen hail that big (confirmed softball and baseball size) and I don’t know if we ever will again. Luckily, my car wasn’t damaged too much thanks to the tree we were under, but I did have to get a new windshield and I am still on the wait list at Caliber Collision for the other damage. We made it home finally and found three busted skylights upstairs and hail and glass all over our house.  I'm glad we were not home because I think the girls would have been really freaked out by the skylights breaking in our house. 













Results:
Farmers Insurance has been great – we have already gotten a new roof, we will get new carpet upstairs, paint and drywall repairs, deck and fence repairs, new gutters, windows and paint outside, etc.  The only hiccup is trying to pry our insurance money from Wells Fargo.  They have our mortgage, therefore want to be involved in all repairs which adds several layers of complication.  We can’t get repairs completed without an inspector, 20 notarized forms and all kinds of bureaucracy.  Wish us luck, hopefully we can get all of the work done by Christmas!    

1 comment:

Julie said...

OH MY GOSH!!! Thank God you weren't home!!!!